Friday, March 16, 2007

Clarification about me- the mom

One of my friends pointed out that I never mentioned what my genetic testing results were. Sorry! I have known since the beginning of October that my genes do not have the mutation. So they do not have to do any more testing on any of my family members, mom, etc.

They recommend that Caroline be tested by the time she's 18 to rule out the gene. They said it's possible that she might have the mutated gene, since they don't know at what point in conception that it happened to Grace. Maybe something is wrong with my eggs. They know that Tommy doesn't have it for sure, because if he did he would be severely retarded.

Remember that the X chromosome is really long with lots of info. The Y is short. In girls, if they have a mutation, they can almost shut down the "bad" X and use the "good" X, so their symptoms are less. In a boy, with only one X, they have nothing to shutdown, so their symptoms are severe.

This is why it is important for Grace to do family planning when she is preparing to be childbearing. I believe she will have to do IVF to for sure not pass this down. How to teach her this principle is yet to be decided, but during different times in her life, we will have to prayerfully approach the issue and then not be bashful.

No comments: